Height : 660 m.
In the low rolls of the Shiwalik hills lies the lake of Renuka Ji. It is fed by underwater springs and has a circumference of 2.5 kms. Shaped somewhat like the profile of a reclining woman, this is regarded as the embodiment of the goddess Renuka. Near the lake’s feet is another large pool held sacred to her son, Parshurama. Both have temples around them and the main temple to Renuka is said to have been built overnight in the early eighteenth century. The lake rests in a long valley and the surrounding woods are covered with a variety of dense vegetation.
- By Rail :Ambala railway station is a distance of 95 kms, the
one at Dehradoon is 105 kms away and the Kalka railhead is
ata distance 125 kms.
- By Road : Pan/vanoo is at a distance 123 kms and Shimla is
169 kms away & 320 km. Delhi.
- By Air : Chandigarh is at a distance of 95 kms and the
Dehradoon airport is 73 kms away.
Hot in summer and cottons are suggested. It is mild to cold in winter when woollens are required.
- Renuka Lake is the main attraction – and boating is also
- Parshuram lake is a smaller lake near Renuka ji lake.
The temples of Renukaji and Parshurama lie along the
- A hike to Jamu peak (8 kms ) that lies above the lake/
Renuka has a Bird Park, Mini Zoo and Lion Safari (2 kms).
- Jataun barrage (5 kms) over the river Giri makes an interesting excursion – and fishing for mahaseer (river carp) is available at this spot.
Dadahu is the large village (2 kms ) closest to Renukaji and has a market with all basic goods.
- Sangrah Village: is believed to be at least four centuries old. Sangrah has an old and aesthetically built temple of Vijat Maharaj; this is located at the Rawalgarh Fort on the Sangrah hill; the fort is also known as the Sangrah Kila. There are two ancient stone idols of Ma Kali on the ‘chabutra’, platform near the temple. The traditional houses of the village are very attractive and include the one that belonged to the activist and National Award Winner, Kinkri Devi. There is an open space in the middle of the village called ‘Shirgul ka Chauntra’; this ls, regarded as the ‘dev sthal’. This space is believed to have, been used by the old princely rulers to address the villagers.
THE RENUKA – Deluxe Hotel
Named after the Renuka Lake, the Hotel Renuka rests on the bank of this sacred and breathtakingly beautiful lake. It commands a panoramic view of the lake with just a road dividing its terraced gardens from the waters. The original wing is the colonial style and the new constructed one is totally modern. .
ADDRESS : Hotel Renuka, Renukaji,
Distt. Sirmaur(HP) -173022 Tel. : (01702) 267339
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org