Height: 1830 m. Just a step away from the majestic heights of the snow covered mountains, Manali is one of India’s favourite hill destinations. Thick forests rise over a carpet of varied foliage and flowers. Terraced fields and small hamlets dot the slopes. There is an enormous range of sightseeing, activity and adventure that is available around the town. It forms the base of several trek routes, offers rock climbing, mountaineering, fishing, camping, white-water rafting and skiing. With all its
scenic beauty and developed facilities, this is now a popular spot for Bollywood filmmakers. lt is believed that after the great flood of legend, the boat of Manu the ancestor of all mankind came to rest in Manali which is named after him.
- By Road : Manali is 575 Km from Delhi, 320 Km from Chandigarh & 260 Km from Shimla. Himachal Tourism plies luxury coaches to Manali from Shimla, Chandigarh and Delhi.
- By Rail : The nearest broad gauge railhead for Kullu is at Chandigarh 320 Kms away.
- By Air : The Kullu airport at Bhunter is 50 Kms from Manali.
LONG DISTANCE SERVICES TO & FROM MANALI
1. Delhi-Manali And Vice Versa Ac Volvo Coach
2. Delhi-Shimla-And Vice Versa Ac Volvo Coach
3. Shimla-ManaIiAnd Vice Versa Non Ac Coach
4. Manali – Leh And Vice Versa From 20th July to 15th September Every Year
Manali in winters can experience sunny days and freezing nights. The resort receives a fair amount of snow. Heavy woollens, jackets other winter wear are essential. The summer temperatures are mild, light woollens and cottons are recommended.
- Hadimba Devi Temple: This is 1.5 km from the Tourist Office. Built in 1553, and dedicated to the goddess Hadimba, this is also known as the Dhoongri temple. It is built around a small natural cave believed to enshrine the footprints of Hadimba Devi ( Hirma Devi ). According to legend, Bhima slew the demon Hadimb and married his sister, Hadimba who was subsequently elevated to the status of a goddess. Superbly crafted as a four-tiered pagoda-style structure, it has an exquisitely carved door. It is said that the right hand of the craftsman was severed
to prevent him from replicating the masterpiece, but he trained himself to do as well with his left hand.
- Tibetan Monasteries: The Gadhan Thekchokling Gompa was built in the late 1960s. It holds wall paintings and a large statue of the Buddha. For visitors, this is open through the day to early evening. There are recently built monasteries at Chadhiyari and Aleo too.
- Manu Temple: This is dedicated to the sage Manu. This is in Old Manali, whose narrow lanes evoke the idyll of Himachal‘s villages.
- Vashisth: 3 km. This village on the banks of the Beas is renowned for its mineral water springs and hot sulphur baths which have been piped into shower-fitted bathrooms. The village has temples dedicated to the sage Vashisth and to Lord Ram.
- Arjun Gufa: 4 km. Arjun, of the Mahabharata is regarded to have meditated in this cave. Near the village of Prini, this has an excellent view of the area.
- Jagatsukh: 6 km. Once the seat of the rulers of Kullu, this holds the age-old temples of Lord Shiva and of Sandhya Gayatri.
- Solang Valley: 14 km. The grassy slopes of this valley turn into excellent ski-slopes in winter. During the summer months, para-gliding, zorbing, horse-rides and other activities are on offer.
About 2 km away from Manali, the Log Huts and Hamta cottages are set in glorious surroundings with the best view of the snow capped peaks.
ADDRESS : Log Huts, Manali – 175131 Distt. Kullu (HP),
Tel. :O1902-253225 -26, E-mail : email@example.com
HADIMBA COTTAGES – Deluxe Cottages
Named after Manali’s famous Hadimba Temple and ringed by enchanting deodar woods, they have a delightful view of the Beas Valley. The Hadimba Cottages overlook the Beas River and are easily accessible from the town’s centre.
ADDRESS : Hadimba Cottage Manali – 17513, Distt. Kullu
(HP), Tel. : 01902 -252334 E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
THE KUNZAM – Deluxe Hotel
The Hotel Kunzam in the heart of the town is the most centrally located deluxe hotel in Manali and has complete facilities for holding conferences. lt derives its name from the high mountain Pass Kunzum (4551 m).
ADDRESS : Hotel Kunzam, Manali -175131,
Tel : 01902 – 253197 – 98